George R. Hinman
: Greenwich, CT / Newport, RI
: Middlebury College, BA / Columbia Business School, MBA
George participated in three America’s Cup campaigns and won the Cup with Intrepid in 1967. Over the course of 25 years he campaigned a Peterson 34, J-35, Mumm 36, Farr 40, and NYYC Swan 42.
George served as President of Yacht Racing Association of Long Island Sound. He is also on the Board for the National Sailing Hall of Fame, International Yacht Restoration School, and Sail to Prevail. George is a former Commodore of the New York Yacht Club. Promoting Team Racing throughout the country has been a priority of his for many years.
- President of YRA of LIS, 1980-1982
- Board of Trustee, Storm Trysail Club, 1982-1984
- Board of Trustee, American Yacht Club, 1988-1992
- Board of Trustee, New York Yacht Club, 1984-1988, 1998-2002
- Board of Trustee, Fales Committee (Naval Academy), 1990-1993
- Treasurer, ACCA (America’s Cup Challenger Association), 1998-2000
- Commodore, New York Yacht Club, 2004-2005
- Board of Trustee, Sail to Prevail (Shake A Leg), 2000-Present
- Board of Trustee, IYRS, 2007-Present
- Board of Trustee, National Sailing Hall of Fame, 2007-Present
- Boats Owned, Peterson 34, J-35, Mumm 36, Farr 40, NYYC Swan 42
Words from George Hinman
“Over the past few years I have been pleased to see US Sailing moving in a focused and streamlined direction. I attended the Yacht Club Summit hosted by US Sailing in Chicago and was excited to see 187 yacht clubs in attendance. If you start to educate and involve the yachts clubs in what US Sailing has to offer to the sport of sailing, the members and the sailors will follow.
The more US Sailing listens to the sailors around the country, the more effective it will become in developing its programs and direction for the future. Communications and marketing are two areas that need constant attention.”