The US Sailing Resource Center includes the very latest on entrapment and trapeze safety, hurricane preparation, and overall yacht club safety guidelines developed by the Gowrie Group.
JO Safety Plan examples:
- Mentor Harbor Yacht Club JO Safety Plan
- Rochester Yacht Club
- River Romp Regatta at Edison Sailing Center
The National Safe Boating Council celebrates National Safe Boating week each May. You will find lots of free safety resources on their website.
Planning for safety, on and off the water, is particularly vital to a youth event, so appointing a qualified and committed person to head up this effort would be a good early assignment.
- A must-read for venue safety is “Electrical Hazards” in this section.
- Also read the “Risk Management” chapter in the Race Management Handbook.
- Waivers and medical consent forms: The Racing Rules of Sailing prohibits the use of indemnification and hold-harmless agreements.
- Insurance: See the US Sailing web site for a broad range of comprehensive insurance programs administered by The Gowrie Group (www.ussailing.org/membership/benefits/insurance/) or call 1-800-262-8911.