Event Chair Timeline
Event Chair’s Timeline & Checklist
Establish a timeline for your Junior Olympic event. What follows is a basic outline.
- Confirm event dates, coordinating with US Sailing, class associations and local sailing associations so as not to conflict.
- Select key committee people (event chair, safety, race management, promotion, merchandise & other subcommittee chairs) and hold first organizational meeting.
- Meetings should be held at least once monthly thereafter. Develop event timeline or key date schedule.
- Develop event timeline or key date schedule.
- Complete preliminary detailed budget.
- Confirm classes of boats.
- Initiate sponsorship plan.
- Confirm remaining major project and subcommittee assignments.
- Make brief presentation to host club’s Board; announcement at membership meeting.
- Meet with the sponsor’s local representative. Determine ways in which the sponsor can get involved in your event. Ideas are included in the “Sponsorship” section.
- Establish a JO section on your club’s website. (Regatta Network can do this for you.)
- Publish Notice of Race and/or flyer with separate entry form.
- May is National Safe Boating month. Many safe boating freebees are downloadable from the National Safe Boating Council website.
- Draft and post Sailing Instructions.
- Hire a respected coach to lead your clinic.
- Issue initial publicity (see Publicity Timeline in “Promotion” section).
- Initiate media contact.
- Complete initial grounds plan, social media plan, ceremonies plan.
- Order all necessary outside equipment.
- Submit marine event permit.
- Develop a safety plan for both on and off the water.
- Place article in club newsletter.
- Set up online registration using Regatta Network.
- Order trophies. (US Sailing will provide gold, silver, bronze JO medals for each fleet.)
- Order T-shirts and other merchandise.
- Order wristbands.
- Dinner, entertainment reservations and orders.
- Dignitary invitations.
- Invite a local Olympic sailor to speak and/or give out awards.
- Final Sailing Instructions posted.
- Confirm personnel schedule.
- Confirm all equipment.
- Confirm chartered/borrowed boats, if applicable.
- Confirm final social, grounds, and ceremonies plans.
2 Weeks Prior to Entry Deadline:
- Email or call junior program directors in the area. Ask how many sailors, instructors and coaches will be coming to your event.
- Final event committee organizational meeting.
- All printed material available at event office and posted on web site.
- All on-site signs, banners, flags, posters, etc. ready for display.
- Set up venue.
- Confirm receipt of trophies, prizes, T-shirts, merchandise and giveaways.
- Send updated publicity to media.
- Pack registration bags; set up registration stations.
First Race Day:
- Race committee/protest committee joint meeting; include visiting coaches/instructors.
- Safety meeting – include all RC volunteers, coaches, instructors, parents.
- Competitors’ meeting.
- Post results on your website daily.
- Send results to local press.
- Write thank you’s to sponsors and volunteers.
- Hold post-mortem meeting.