What does the Regatta Chair do?
There are two types of Regatta Chair. One is a regatta chair who is running an event at their sailing organization and has sole responsibility for their event.
The second is a regatta chair who is running an event at their sailing organization either on behalf of another organization, like a class or teaming with another organization like US Sailing.
Many of the tasks remain the same but there are unique elements when running an event in conjunction with another entity. More information on running an event with another entity can be found on the menu bar.
All Regatta Chairs do the following:
- Manage local assets/personnel
- Assemble a team to help with the event; delegate early
- Manage timeline and budget
- Seek out and vets PRO and Chief Judge (in conjunction with other interested parties)
- Determines compatibility to event (i.e. suitable for kids, experience in specific format such as Team Racing & etc)
- Works with the Chief Judge and PRO on the NOR
- Maintains full and frank communication with the PRO
- Runs “the show” on land
- Makes sure SIs stay “on schedule”
- Selects and develop local sub-chairs