Toms River Yacht Club
Toms River, NJ
August 8-11, 2017
for the Sears, Bemis and Smythe Trophies
Radial, C420 and Flying Scot
Thank You National Sponsors
- The requirement for coaches at the Area Championship will be US Sailing Level 2, not Level 3. We would like to encourage junior programs to schedule Level 2 training for their coaches over the summer prior to Memorial Day.
- Find more information about Level 2 Instructor Certification and scheduling a course here.
SELECT A REGATTA
About the Championship
- Competitors must have reached their 13th birthday but not their 19th in calendar year
- Each Area is eligible to send at least one sailor / team to compete in each of the fleets.
- Sailors race in boats provided by US Sailing and the host at the event site to ensure the quality of the equipment and a level playing field.
- A one day racing clinic led by US Sailing’s Junior National Coach will be held prior to the start of the championship.
- Coaches provide instruction on charter boat assignments, rigging and handling, starts, and practice races.
- Other speakers and presentations may be scheduled to educate these youth sailors on opportunities in college sailing and pathways to Olympic sailing success.
Participants will be expected to be able to fly a spinnaker on a trapeze and manage a boat in up to 20 knots of breeze. Once registered, crew changes are not permitted except in case of an emergency.