Newport Harbor Yacht Club - Newport Harbor, CA
August 14-16, 2015
for the Allegra Knapp Mertz and Adams Memorial Trophies
2014 Results & CoverageResults/Standings
- All competitors shall be members of US Sailing and of a sailing organization that is a US Sailing member
- Competitors from other countries shall either be members of US Sailing or be members of their National Authority.
- The yacht club represented is the organization of which the skipper is a member. Eligible crew do not have to be members of the club represented by the eligible skipper.
- Skippers may request invitations to one or more of the Qualifying events listed below.
- To request an invitation to one or more of the Qualifying events, Skippers must click on the link below, pay a one time $50.00 application fee, and indicate their event preferences.
- For further details regarding the various Qualifying events please see the "Notice of 2015 Qualifying Series."
To request an invitation to one or more qualifiers, Click Here
|Date||Venue||Entry Fee||Damage Deposit||Boat Type||# Boats||Crew Number||Crew Weight|
|April 11-12, 2015||Oakcliff Sailing||$450||$2,500||Match 40||10||5 or 6||437.5 kg|
|April 17-19, 2015||Long Beach Yacht Club - this event is now full||$600||$2,500||Catalina 37||8||Max of 8||
|May 23-24, 2015||St. Francis Yacht Club||$300||$1,500||J22||8||4||350 kg|
|May 30-31, 2015||Chicago Match Race Center||See event NoR||$2,500||Tom 28||8||4 or 5||350 kg|
|June 13-14, 2015||San Diego Yacht Club||$300||$1,000||J22||8||3 or 4||262.5 kg|
|June 20-21, 2015||Annapolis Yacht Club||See event NoR||See Event NoR||J22||TBD||3 or 4||262.5kg|
- Only skippers invited by the OA will be eligible to enter this event.
· The competition is a match race regatta between 8 teams of all-female sailors on keelboats.
· The format includes a series of Qualifying Round Robin(s), Semi-Finals and a Finals Series.
· Competitors must be members of US Sailing at the time of registration and competition.
· International competitors are welcome to request for an invitation to the qualifiers and/or finals
Founded in 1974, the U.S. Women's Open Championship served the interest of female sailors who wished to compete against other women at the national level in double and singlehanded boats. The regattas were organized along traditional one design racing lines where boat preparation is a factor, and no eliminations were required. A boardsailing championship was added in 1981. A one-day clinic typically preceded the three-day championship regatta.
The Adams Memorial Trophy for doublehanded sailing was presented by Mrs.Henry (Adams) Morgan, and the Committee presented the Mertz Trophy for singlehanded sailing to honor Allegra Knapp Mertz as four-time winner of the U.S. Women’s National Championship and many years of service as Chairperson of the Women’s Championship Committee.
In 2000, a motion to change the event from fleet racing to match racing was passed. The first U.S. Women's Match Racing Championship was held at Southern Yacht Club, November 11 - 14, 2002. The Mertz Trophy is awarded to the winner and the Adams Memorial to the runner up.
US Sailing Representative
Karen Butler | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenn Lancaster | email@example.com