U.S. Women’s Match Racing Championship
Annapolis Yacht Club, Annapolis, MD
September 9 -11, 2016
for the Allegra Knapp Mertz and Adams Memorial Trophies
- Competitors from other countries shall either be members of US Sailing or be members of their National Authority.
- The yacht club represented is the organization of which the skipper is a member. Eligible crew do not have to be members of the club represented by the eligible skipper.
- Skippers may indicate preferences and request invitations to up to three (3) of the Qualifying events listed below. Click here to request an invitation.
|Type of Qualifier||Dates||Host||City/State||Entry Fee/ Damage Deposit||Boat/ # Spots/ #Crew||Crew Weight||Contact|
|(O,W)||3/19-20||Ft. Worth Boat Club||Ft. Worth, TX||$300/ $1000||J/22/ 8/ 3 0r 4||262.5 kg||Matt Arno|
|(O,W)||4/16-17||Oakcliff Sailing||Oyster Bay, NY||$450*/ $2500||Match 40/ 10/ 5 or 6||437.5 kg||Bill Simon|
|W||4/30-5/1||Long Beach Yacht Club (Mayor's Cup)||Long Beach, CA||$600*/ $2500||Catalina 37/ 8/ max of 8||620 kg||Mary Voigt|
|(O,W)||5/21-22||St Francis Yacht Club||San Francisco, CA||$350/ $1500||J/22/ 8/ 4||350 kg||Graham Biehl|
|(O,W)||5/21-22||Annapolis Yacht Club||Annapolis, MD||$350/ $1000||J/22/ 8/ 3 or 4||262.5 kg||Linda Ambrose|
|(O,W)||5/21-22||Bayview Yacht Club||Detroit, MI||$350/ $1000||Ultimate 20/ 8/ 3 or 4||262.5 kg||Linda Rosiek|
|(O,W)||6/11-12||San Diego Yacht Club||San Diego, CA||$350/ $1000||J/22 / 8/ 3 or 4||262.5 kg||Summer Greene|
|(O,W)||6/11-12||Rochester Yacht Club (Great Lakes Internat'l Match Race)||Rochester, NY||$400*/ $1500||Sonar/ 8/ 3 or 4||262.5 kg||Richard Sullivan|
|(O,W)||6/25-26||Chicago Yacht Club/Chicago Match Race||Chicago, IL||$400*/ $2000||Sonar/ 8/ 3 or 4||262.5 kg ***||Jay Kehoe|
- Only skippers invited by the OA will be eligible to enter this event.
· The competition is a match race regatta between 10 teams of all-female sailors on keelboats.
· The format includes a series of Qualifying Round Robin(s), Semi-Finals and a Finals Series.
· Competitors must be members of US Sailing at the time of registration and competition.
· International competitors are welcome to request for an invitation to the qualifiers and/or finals
Founded in 1974, the U.S. Women's Open Championship served the interest of female sailors who wished to compete against other women at the national level in double and singlehanded boats. The regattas were organized along traditional one design racing lines where boat preparation is a factor, and no eliminations were required. A boardsailing championship was added in 1981. A one-day clinic typically preceded the three-day championship regatta.
The Adams Memorial Trophy for doublehanded sailing was presented by Mrs.Henry (Adams) Morgan, and the Committee presented the Mertz Trophy for singlehanded sailing to honor Allegra Knapp Mertz as four-time winner of the U.S. Women’s National Championship and many years of service as Chairperson of the Women’s Championship Committee.
In 2000, a motion to change the event from fleet racing to match racing was passed. The first U.S. Women's Match Racing Championship was held at Southern Yacht Club, November 11 - 14, 2002. The Mertz Trophy is awarded to the winner and the Adams Memorial to the runner up.
US Sailing Representative
Karen Butler | email@example.com