We know that race organizers often have a hard time finding officials to run, judge and umpire local and regional events… and we want to help solve that problem. One of our most important functions is training volunteers to support your racing, from a casual Wednesday night series to a national championship. We’re here to support you. With our help, you can offer a race official seminar in your area.
What do Race Officials do?
- Race Officers select the courses, run quality races and do the scoring at your regattas
- Judges and Umpires interpret and enforce the rules to ensure fair racing
Who are Race Officials?
- Race officials serve racing sailors. Most are experienced sailors, just like your members… In fact, they can be your members.
- Men, women and youth sailors all make excellent officials. We are dedicated to encouraging more women and young sailors to join the corps.
Can your members participate in training courses even if they don’t plan to be certified?
- Of course! Your club benefits when your members learn more about running races. The best part… it’s not hard! And it’s free to your organization.
- Did we mention …the fun? …the camaraderie? …a day out on the water?
How can US Sailing help? We will assist you with…
- setting up, promoting and hosting a seminar
- selecting a certified instructor
- providing advance study and classroom materials created by US Sailing
- online testing and scoring after the seminar
- guidance by experienced US Sailing officials in your area
Yes, we’re interested – how do we start?
- Contact Pat Crawford in the Race Administration Office to learn how US Sailing can help you build your race management capabilities: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 401-366-3109
- Check out the Race Officials section of our web site for more information
If you’re interested, check out this story from World Sailing about a young person who has climbed high in the race official world: http://sailingworldcupmelbourne.com/news/judge-danielle-youngest-female-sailing-umpire-worldwide