The US Sailing Judges Committee has designed various certification programs to meet the needs of each person who seeks certification.
- Club Judge certification is for those who wish to judge primarily at their own club and would like to have a stronger and more consistent rules knowledge. Please visit the Club Judge Program site for further information.
- Judge certification is for those who seek to judge in a region of the country in addition to serving their club.
- National Judge certification is for those who have the “Judge” certification level and seek to officiate at any event in the country.
- International Judge certification is granted by World Sailing. US applicants for IJ certification must be nominated by the Judges Committee and the US Sailing Board of Directors.
For further information, please refer to the Judge Qualifications found in Chapter 12 of The Judges Manual for 2013-2016 or by consulting a copy of The Judges Manual for 2013-2016.
- Initial certification involves a seminar and a test on The Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS).
- The Judge, National Judge and International Judge initial application form must be completed online.
2016 Re-certifying Judges and National Judges must file an application By Nov 1st in their renewal year, confirming their commitment to being a judge and confirming that they meet the requirements to be one.
- Renewal of certification is required every 4 years and can be obtained by attending a seminar or a variety of Continuing Education events during the 4 year period leading up to re-certification.
- Passing a test at the appropriate level in the last year of certification is required.
- The application for renewal is available online.
- A copy is automatically sent to your RAJ.
- Please refer to Certification and Testing Information for further details.
Although everyone who seeks to become a judge either at the club level or higher would be in training as an official, US Sailing considers that those who have attended a seminar and taken the test to be truly Judges-in-Training (JIT).
Anyone who is interested in this learning path should contact their RAJ for a more detailed look at our program.
JIT names will be added to our data base to be available on the website’s “Find a Judge” report as persons actively working to become certified. Clubs seeking more experienced judges should use Find a Judge for JITs and certified Judges.