Judge Guidelines and Documents
Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions Templates – Templates are provided here in Word format for use when writing the Notice of Race or Sailing Instructions. Please be sure to consult Appendix J – Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions for guidance on using the templates. Pay particular attention to the marginal notes in Appendix K – Notice of Race Guide and Appendix L – Sailing Instructions Guide.
Download the 2017-2020 Notice of Race Template in Word.
Download the 2017-2020 Appendix K- Notice of Race Guide as a PDF.
Download the 2017-2020 Sailing Instructions Template in Word.
Download the 2017-2020 Appendix L – Sailing Instructions Guide as a PDF.
- 2017-2020 US Prescriptions to The Racing Rules of Sailing
- The Judges Manual for 2017-2020 – (coming soon) free pdf for US Sailing members
- Guidelines for Video Conference Hearings – guidance from the US Sailing Judges Committee on Video Hearings
- On the Field of Play Decisions – a boat should act in accordance with the basic principles of our sport
- Guidelines for Writing Conclusions and Decisions on a Protest Form – guidelines for making sure conclusions are derived from facts found
- Guidelines for Conducting a Hearing Involving a Support Person – describes the PC’s process when a support person may have broken a rule
Useful Event Checklists
The Judges Committee and the Judges Education, Training and Testing Subcommittee (JETTS) provide the following checklists for members of a Protest Committee. These correspond to and, in some cases supplement, the checklists found in Appendix A of The Judges Manual for 2017-2020. Additionally, these are utilized for certain exercises during Judge Seminars. Appendix M of The Racing Rules of Sailing is an additional resource for Judges looking for such type of tools. JETTS will periodically collect and add additional checklists, as appropriate.
- Checklist 1 PC Chair Pre-Event Organization
- Checklist 2 PC Member Pre-Event Organization
- Checklist 3 PC Chair Discussions with OA & RC
- Checklist 4 Pre-Event PC Meeting
- Checklist 5 PC Desk-Secretary – General Duties
Useful Protest Committee Documents
- US Sailing 2017-2020 Protest Form
- Protest Worksheet (Envelope Cover) Word
- Protest Filing Deadline Word
- Alternative Penalty Acknowledge Table (Short Form) Word
- Alternative Penalty Acknowledge Form (long form) Word
- Arbitration Resolution Form Word
- Hearing Schedule Table Word
- Hearing Results Table Word
- Notice of Request for Redress Hearing pdf
- Hearing Schedule and Results Table Word
- Protest Committee Report to Scorers Word
- Rule 42 Protests – 1 Protest per Line Word
- Rule 42 Protests – 1 Competitor per Line Word
- Rule 42 Log Booklet – for one-sided copies pdf
- Rule 42 Log Booklet – for double-sided copies pdf
- Combined set of all Reports in one Document Word
(Has common header and footer for use in customizing for one event)