Helena Scutt, Nacra 17
CLASS: Nacra 17
TEAMMATE: Bora Gulari
US OLYMPIC TEAM: Rio 2016 (49erFX with Paris Henken)
US PAN AMERICAN TEAM: Toronto 2015 (bronze)
US SAILING TEAM SPERRY: 2013-Present
HOMETOWN: Kirkland, Wash
MEMBER OF: St. Francis Yacht Club, Seattle Yacht Club
HIGH SCHOOL: International Community School | Kirkland, WA | Class of 2010
COLLEGE: Stanford University | Stanford, CA | Class of 2014 | B.S. Biomechanical Engineering
PHOTOS: Gulari/Scutt Gallery
AGENT/PRESS INQUIRIES: Contact Will Ricketson, US Sailing
Scutt teamed up with fellow Rio 2016 Olympian Bora Gulari (Detroit, Mich) to campaign for Tokyo 2020 in the Nacra 17, which is now a foiling class.
From Henken/Scutt Sailing: Helena began racing competitively relatively late after a soccer-obsessed childhood. Thanks to her father, sailing has always been a part of her life, having grown up on Lake Washington near Seattle. Thanks to her coaches in high school, especially Jen and Ben Glass and her skipper Katy Cenname, her 29er racing career took off quickly and soon she was selected for the US Sailing Development Team. Helena just graduated from Stanford University where she competed for the varsity sailing team for four years, including leading as co-captain for two years and competing in 10 National Championships for Stanford.
While racing at 49erFX Worlds in September 2013, Helena was hit by a boat which broke her spine and two ribs as well as lacerated a kidney. It was a wake-up call to the risk involved in racing high-performance boats at the world class level and took a while to sink in. She healed miraculously well and time off the water only strengthened her drive to pursue her sailing goals. Helena knows that she wouldn’t be anywhere without the support from her coaches, friends, family and especially her tireless father.
- 2015 Pan American Games Bronze Medalist
- 2014 Seattle Yacht Club’s Bob Gibbons Memorial Trophy: One-Design Sailor of the Year
- 2014 Intercollegiate Sailing Association: Academic All-American Sailing Second Team
- 2013 Intercollegiate Sailing Association: Academic All-American Sailing First Team
- 2013 Stanford Athletics Board: Block “S” Award for Outstanding Female Junior
- Stanford Varsity Sailing Co-Captain 2012-13, 2011-12 seasons
- 2012 Intercollegiate Sailing Association: All-Pacific Coast Collegiate Sailing Conference (PCCSC) Crew
- 2010 Seattle Yacht Club: One-Design Sailor of the Year (with 29er skipper Katy Cenname)
- 2010 29er Pacific Coast Circuit: Maxam Trophy for Top Female Crew