Basic Re-certification Requirements
US Sailing Instructor Certifications are valid for three (3) years. Instructors need only re-certify at the highest level of certification they have achieved within each program. For example, if you hold Basic Keelboat and Cruising Instructor Certifications you only need to renew the Cruising Instructor Certification. If you hold Cruising Instructor and Level 2 Instructor certifications (which are in two different instructional tracks), you need to renew both. This process is vital to ensure that you can continue to teach sailing without jeopardizing your sailing program’s insurance by not holding current US Sailing Certification. For those of you who work for programs which issue US Sailing Student Certification, please note that you can only certify students if your Instructor Certification is current.
- Log into My US Sailing and click the My Certs & Courses link on the left. View your certifications on the Certifications tab, and order re-certifications by clicking on the Re-certify tab OR Fill in the US Sailing printable Training Re-certification Form, noting courses taught during the past three years.
- US Sailing can only accept First Aid and CPR courses that are on the U.S. Coast Guard’s approved list. You do not need to submit copies of your cards to US Sailing, but your certification will NOT be valid unless accompanied by current First Aid and CPR.
- ***NEW*** SAFESPORT: Beginning on 1/1/2018. This program, developed by the US Olympic Committee, is required training for all Instructors. This free online training course must be completed every 2 years. Instructor certification is not active unless SafeSport training has been completed.
- Hold current US Sailing Adult Membership. If your membership has lapsed, please renew your membership; this fee includes General Liability Instructor Insurance.
- Enclose the re-certification fee (charged to your credit card if you re-certify online). If your re-certification application is not accepted, your fee will be refunded. If you withdraw your application after submission, 1/2 of your fee will be refunded.
***EXPIRED CERTIFICATIONS: If certification has expired for more than one year, candidates must pass online exams before recertification can be processed. If certification has been expired for more than 10 years, candidates must retake and pass the instructor course to become recertified.
For more information or questions contact: email@example.com.