Community Sailing Center Accreditation
US Sailing’s Community Sailing Accreditation Program identifies and accredits those community sailing programs that are offering the highest level of boating education and public access across the United States. By accrediting programs that only meet the highest standards, as set forth in the application process, the Program aims to offer a national standard for community sailing programs. Accredited programs use US Sailing certified instructors, have detailed emergency and safety procedures, use curricula that meet US Sailing’s teaching standards, and are properly insured.
Programs of all types (year-round or seasonal, youth or adult, etc.) are eligible to apply for accreditation, provided they meet the specific guidelines set forth by the Accreditation Application.
Why should a sailing center apply to become accredited? What are the benefits of the program?
- Organizations that are accredited are recognized nationally as the top sailing centers in the country in terms of safety and teaching standards, quality of staff and instruction, professionalism and how the center offers access and enjoyment of sailing to the public.
- Accredited Centers are able to use their distinction to attract donors and win grants. Accredited Centers are also eligible for specific grant opportunities through US Sailing.
- Accredited Centers are included in a network of Accredited Centers, receiving semi-annual emails from the US Sailing Accreditation Working Party with helpful information and best practices.
- Accredited Centers are eligible for a 50% annual discount on a Level 2 or Level 3 US Sailing Small Boat Instructor course.
- Accredited Centers’ staff members are invited to participate in the governing process that molds, shapes and improves the quality and reach of US Sailing programs, by being involved with the Community Sailing Committee.
- Accredited Centers are encouraged to fly the “Community Sailing Center” flag (awarded alongside accreditation) at their center, as well as to use the formal logo in their promotional materials each year.
We would like to congratulate and welcome the following centers into the Accreditation Program: Community Sailing of Colorado, Renton Sailing Club and Community Boating Center of New Bedford.
Please note that US Sailing accredits Keelboat Sailing Schools in addition to Community Sailing Centers. These are different accreditations and a center meeting both terms, would apply for each accreditation separately.