Offshore Technical Assistant
Offshore Technical Assistant
Department: Competitive Services/ Offshore
Reports to: Offshore Director
Employment Status: Full-time
Effective Date: 12/5/2017
The Offshore Technical Assistant is primarily responsible for the acquisition and processing of International Rating Certificate (IRC), Offshore Racing Council (ORC), and Offshore Racing Association (ORA) certificate data. This includes interfacing with owners, designers, and race officials to ensure appropriate standards are met. This position is also responsible for management of Performance Handicap Racing Fleet (PHRF) data under the purview of US Sailing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs initial review, data entry, and proofing of the Offshore Racing Rule (ORR) and the Offshore Racing Congress certificates (ORC) certificates
- Principal contact for affiliated PHRF fleets including boat owners and fleet rating officer communications
- Principal contact for US Sailing certified measurers
- Supervises technical, non-staff consultants
- Performs special projects to further US Sailing’s mission within the limits of skill and experience
- Cooperate with rating authorities to provide requisite information and feedback
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Mathematics or other Technical Discipline
- 2+ years personal experience in sailboat racing, rating rules, and sailboat measurement processes
- Ability to coordinate with efforts of office staff, owners, and designers effectively
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products
- Proficient in the use of databases
- Preferred experience with CAD tools (Rhino3D, Multisurf, etc.)
- Preferred programming experience in Visual Basic, Grasshopper, and WordPress
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
- Ability to support offsite presentations, racing functions or boat measurement- may require some overnight travel
- Occasionally perform studies for third party agencies using the Offshore database
- Share and exchange databases with international counterparts
- Possess the highest integrity and values consistent with those of US Sailing
- Importance of being a team player: All US Sailing employees are expected to be exceptional team players
- Growing Membership: Each employee is expected to work together with the Membership Department and assist in growing US Sailing membership
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Please submit resumes and letters of interest to email@example.com.