Chief Marketing Officer
In support of US Sailing’s mission, to grow and strengthen the sport of sailing, the Chief Marketing Officer is responsible for the organization’s communications, marketing and membership programs. This is a key leadership role responsible for developing and implementing the organization’s communication strategy to build brand awareness and the perceived value of membership, and drive membership and program growth. US Sailing has four core programs through which it achieves its goals and national responsibilities:
- Olympic Sailing Team – Attract and develop the elite talent and all of the required resources that will return the US Sailing Team to its former leadership in Olympic Sailing.
- Youth Sailing – Create in our youth, extensive competencies and a passion for sailing through programs that emphasize all facets of the sport, from adventure to competition.
- Adult Sailing – Foster adult participation through learn to sail and ongoing education programs, to safety and National Championships.
- Competitive Services – Support and expand participation in competitive sailing through a range of services including coach development, handicap rule management, officiating, and rule administration.
The success of each of these programs requires development of effective communication and marketing strategies that will drive participation, volunteerism, financial resources and membership.
The Chief Marketing Officer will employ a variety of tools to accomplish the organization’s goals including: effective communications, brand development and brand management. Ultimately the goal is to shape the public’s perception and awareness of sailing, and to strengthen US Sailing’s role as the leader for the sport of sailing in the U.S.
This role requires a forward thinking, analytical and creative leader who understands and can develop innovative communications and marketing strategies and programs to build public awareness, strengthen member engagement, drive membership growth and program revenue, and support active fundraising initiatives driven by the US Sailing Team and US Sailing Foundation. Interpersonal skills that can motivate and foster collaboration with a wide array of stakeholders including staff, volunteers, industry partners and sailing organizations, are critical to success in this role. The position is a crucial member of the organization with a seat on the Senior Leadership Team and is involved in major strategic and operational decisions affecting the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a clear and concise brand image that encompasses and enhances the ability of US Sailing to meet its goals.
- Develop a communication and branding strategy to accelerate the fundraising activities of the US Sailing Foundation and U.S. Olympic Sailing Team.
- Develop branding initiatives to strengthen brand awareness through the ongoing development of the US Sailing value proposition and positioning.
- Determine communications strategy and execute programs to deliver communications objectives throughout the organization.
- Direct the overall communication program to the public and members using digital and traditional media, public relations and social media tools. Connect and engage the broader sailing community through the use of multi-channel communications. Apply available analytics to test and refine strategies and track progress. Continue to refine and evolve the US Sailing web presence.
- Develop and manage a robust member engagement and acquisition strategy that addresses the trends in the emerging membership economy. Responsible for upgrading the membership product and ongoing member sales and communication cycle; initial engagement, general communication and updates, renewal cycle and acquisition initiatives.
- Manage marketing and sales strategies for the four core channels of business: Olympics, Youth, Adult and Competitive Services and Support. Work with the program leads to drive program revenue and membership growth via the use of effective marketing and communications programs. Develop and implement merchandising strategies to enhance the organization’s existing e-commerce.
- Work with the CEO and consultants to manage existing relationships with sponsors and develop new partnerships.
- Lead the marketing and communications staff – graphic design, communications, sponsorship, program marketing, member outreach/events.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
- Bachelors’ Degree in business, communications, marketing or related discipline is required. MBA or advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years progressive experience and a demonstrated track record of accomplishments in communications and marketing that has driven organizational and revenue growth. Member-based association and/or online membership/subscription business experience is critical.
- Digital and social media fluency. Track record utilizing the evolving digital environment and tools to connect to target audiences and successfully deliver messaging.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others. Exceptional team player with the ability to work with and lead numerous stakeholders: volunteers, peers, direct reports and partners.
- Possess a strategic vision; be able to think outside the box, think ahead and plan over a multiyear time span.
- Possess strong analytic and problem resolution skills at both a strategic and functional level.
- Possess demonstrable skills in strategic planning and marketing, business and market development, market research and planning and promotions/advertising.
- Must work effectively with other Senior-level executives and staff and also be able to work independently.
- Must have a strong customer support orientation for both internal and external customers, a professional demeanor and the ability to maintain confidential information.
Please submit resumes and letters of interest to email@example.com.