2014 U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship Preview
RYE, N.Y. (June 17, 2014) – The American Yacht Club welcomes 41 talented teams to Western Long Island Sound for the U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship. This week’s regatta marks the first US Sailing Youth National Championship event of the 2014 season. Teams will race for the Ida Lewis Trophy in the Club 420 this Wednesday, June 18 through Friday, June 20.
Racing is just part of the overall experience in Rye this week. There will be valuable learning opportunities and coaching through a two-day clinic on Monday, June 16 and Tuesday, June 17 that precedes racing. US Sailing’s Junior National Coach Richard Feeny will be running racing instruction clinics on-site. The clinic will familiarize the competitors with the local conditions and race course.
Coaches will also introduce the International 420 as part of the clinics and Elizabeth Kratzig will provide an evening presentation on I420 sailing. Our roster of US Sailing coaches includes, Amanda Callahan, Brian Clancy, Ward Cromwell, Scott Ikle, and John Pearce. US Sailing coaches will offer individual on-the-water instruction and group commentary on land following each racing day.
Schedule and Venue
- The regatta will be sailed in Western Long Island Sound in the vicinity of “bell 42”.
- Spectator boats may be available via sign-up at the venue for racing days only.
- First Warning for racing – 11:25 am (subject to change)
- Ten races are scheduled.
- Three races are required to be completed to constitute a series.
- When fewer than six races have been completed, a boat’s series score will be the total of her race scores.
- When six or more races have been completed, a boat’s series score will be the total of her race scores excluding her worst score.
Coverage and Media
- For results, standings, photos and more information on the 2014 U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship, please visit the event website.
- Raegan Medgie will be reporting for the Weather Channel and broadcasting live from the American Yacht Club on the morning of the first day of racing – Wednesday, June 18 – 7 am to 10 am EDT.
- For breaking news and race results, follow us on Twitter @USSailing. Use Twitter hashtag – #JrWomensDouble to participate in the conversation throughout the championship.
Awards, Trophies and Invitations
- The top two eligible teams not already qualified and finishing in the top 30% of competitors will receive a late invitation to the 2014 U.S. Youth Championships in a doublehanded boat of their choice. Teams must have already applied for the 2014 U.S. Youth Championship by the April 1 deadline to be eligible.
- The winning skipper and crew of the event will be presented the Ida Lewis Trophy (perpetual).
- US Sailing National Championship medals will be awarded to competitors who finish first through fifth.
- The C. Thomas Clagett, Jr. Sportsmanship Award will be presented to a team following the results of the competitors’ ballots.
The U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship is supported by the C. Thomas Clagett Jr. Trust and sponsored by Gill North America. Zim Sailing is the official boat supplier. This championship is a Sailors for the Sea – Clean Regattas certificated event.
US Sailing Media Contact: Jake Fish
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941-505-2111 or email@example.com.